Dieting is a hot topic. With the number of diet options out there, it is no wonder people are confused about what to do. There are many diets plans out there that promise to help you lose weight and get healthier.
This article will help you understand the difference between a fad diet and a low calorie diet so that you can make an informed decision on which one might be best for you. In this blog post, we will discuss the difference between these two diets in detail so that you can decide which one might work better for your needs.
What is a Low Fad Diet?
A low fad diet is a type of weight loss plan that focuses on eating foods with fewer calories. A low fad diet is any diet that restricts caloric intake to a certain degree. This usually means eating less than 1500 calories per day, but it can vary depending on the person and what their goals are.
Here are some examples of a low fad diet:
1- Vegan diet (no animal protein).
2- Low-carbohydrate diet (less than 50 grams a day).
3- Paleo Diet (most foods are high in fat and low in carbohydrates, proteins, and dairy products).
When can you use a low calorie diet?
- You want to lose weight and have the discipline to follow through with it. You would like to gain more energy or feel less tired by following a healthy lifestyle.
- You would like to improve your health.
What is a low calorie diet?
A low calorie diet is a weight loss program where you reduce your daily intake of calories below what the human body needs to maintain its current weight. This type of diet can come in various forms, including meal plans or just guidelines that help people estimate how many calories they should be eating per day based on their activity levels and age range.
Here are some examples of a low calorie diet:
1- Atkins Diet (low in carbohydrates and high in protein).
2- Mediterranean Diet (high in vegetables, moderate amount of fish, olive oil used for cooking).
3- Zone Diet (a balance between the percentage of calories from carbs, protein and fat).
4- Paleo Low Carb High Fat Diet (paleo diet with added fat intake).
When can you use a fad diet?
- If someone doesn’t have the discipline or time to follow through with their low calorie plan, they might be more willing to embark on a short term fad diet that is less restrictive and easier than other diets
- You might want to lose weight quickly or get in shape for a specific event.
Difference Between a Fad Diet and a Low Calorie Diet
A fad diet
- Fad diet is a weight loss strategy that focuses on one or two aspects of eating. For example, the cabbage soup diet only allows you to eat vegetables and low calorie beverages for ten days.
- A fad diet is a short term and restrictive form of diet that offers little to no variety in the foods or drinks consumed. These diets are usually high in sugar, low in protein, full of refined carbs like white breads.
- A low fad diet is what most people would consider normal eating habits with occasional indulgences in treats and sweets. This is a good option for people who want to lose weight but they don’t feel like dieting every day of the week, and it may also be more sustainable in the long term.
A low calorie diet
- A low calorie diet helps people lose weight by restricting calories, but with more flexibility than a fad diet that might be more difficult to follow.
- A low calorie diet restricts caloric intake over time whereas it will always be for life rather than just a few weeks or months. This difference in the duration is what separates a low calorie diet from any other type of weight loss program, as it sets out on reducing caloric intake over time.
- Low calorie diets provide significantly numberless calories than what is usually considered healthy. These diets are typically low in sugar, moderate in protein and full of whole grains like brown rice or quinoa that provide a good amount of fiber by nature.
Pros and cons of a low calorie diet
Pros of a low calorie diet
- Low calorie diet makes you feel full.
- You will feel more energetic and less tired because of the many nutrients found in healthy foods.
- You will see weight loss over time.
- Low calorie diets are inexpensive and healthy for your body.
- A low calorie diet is easy to follow, as there isn’t much variety in what can be eaten.
- It’s possible to still eat the foods that you enjoy.
Cons of a low calorie diet
- A low calorie diet can be difficult to maintain because it is not very satisfying and there are restrictions on what you’re able to eat.
- The symptoms of your hunger will come back with time, often stronger than before which makes the eating plans unsustainable in the long term.
- A low calorie diet is not sustainable because it does not address the problem of why people overeat.
- It’s hard to change your eating habits, which is what caused you to eat too much in the first place.
- You will likely regain any lost pounds after following this type of diet for an extended period of time.
Pros and cons of a fad diet
Pros of a fad diet
- They are often a short term solution that can get you to lose weight quickly compared to other diets because of their strict regimen. This might be what you need if you have an event coming up or just want to fit into your summer clothes again and fast.
- The diet is also easy for those who don’t like cooking, as most of the time there is little to no cooking involved.
- Fad diets often don’t have a strict regimen, so they might be easier for some people who are not as committed or disciplined when it comes to their diet. They also allow you more freedom in what you can and cannot eat which may make them easier to stick with long term.
- Fad diets are usually more affordable than other diet plans as they don’t require a lot of healthy ingredients that can be expensive when you first start out on your weight loss journey.
Cons of a fad diet
- Fad diets are not sustainable. They often restrict calories and require you to eat less, which is hard for most people to do. You end up feeling hungry all the time because of this and it can be easy to give in to temptations when your body wants food so bad. That’s why they’re called fad diet – they’re only around for a little while.
- Fad diets don’t teach you how to maintain your weight loss long term and often lack education on what it takes to live a healthy lifestyle post diet. This can lead to yo-yoing back up the scale, which is never good because then you end up heavier than when you started off on the diet.
- Fad diets are not balanced and can lead to deficiencies in certain nutrients, such as vitamin C or calcium which is important for a healthy body.
Low Calorie Diet Recipes
Low calorie vegetarian recipes
- Zucchini, broccoli florets, zuchini noodles (spiralized), yellow squash, carrots, onion. All the veggies are roasted in olive oil or coconut oil at 400 degrees until tender about 15 minutes then seasoned with salt and pepper.
- The typical low fat vegetarian diet is based on vegetables, legumes and whole grains with limited amounts of dairy products or eggs.
Low Calorie Breakfast Recipes
- Two eggs scrambled with red peppers and onions; -One slice wheat toast topped with banana slices and a teaspoon of peanut butter; Half grapefruit with a tablespoon or two of low-fat cottage cheese.
- Fruit and eggs are the perfect start to any day, especially when they’re combined in one dish! Try this breakfast recipe for your next meal.
Low Calorie Lunch Recipes
- Tuna, cucumber and tomato roll-ups.
- Green salad with grilled chicken or beef.
- Give lunch a healthy makeover by including these three tasty recipes! These dishes are all perfect for any day of the week.
Low Calorie Dinner Recipes
- Grilled chicken with asparagus and balsamic glaze;
- Grilled fish, quinoa with sweet potatoes.
- Dinner does not have to be complicated! These two recipes are perfect for a quick meal. They’re filling but light enough that you won’t feel weighed down after eating them.
A Low Fat Diet Recipes
- Roasted Vegetable Quiche with Gruyère
- Garlic and Thyme Green Beans
- Eggplant Teriyaki Stir Fry
- Asparagus Frittata Cups with Prosciutto, Goat Cheese, and Artichoke Hearts
- Herb Scrambled Eggs on Toast with Peppers
Mostly Asked Questions
On a low fat diet, what can I eat?
A low fat diet includes plenty of fruits, vegetables and whole grains. It also means you have to limit or avoid foods that are high in saturated fats such as cheese, beef and the like.
You should also eat lean cuts of meat because they contain fewer calories than a fatty cut. Eating nuts is not only great for your health but they are also a good source of healthy fats.
How is a fad diet different than a low calorie diet?
A fad diet is considered a short term solution. They are not sustainable because they typically include cutting out major food groups like carbs, fat and protein.
Low calorie diets can easily be incorporated into your lifestyle as you learn what to eat and how much of it to have so that you don’t feel deprived or hungry all the time.
Which diet works the fastest?
A fad diet may work faster to lose weight, but a low calorie diet can be more sustainable for the long term.